Dr. Noah Raford is an advisor on futures, foresight, and innovation at the UAE Prime Minister’s Office. Noah helped establish the country’s first national foresight unit and is part of a special projects team that identifies emerging opportunities, develops strategic partnerships, and prototypes future initiatives. Some of his recent projects include:
Noah is an expert in futures and foresight and is the co-owner of the world’s first crowdsourced strategy start-up, Futurescaper LLC. Prior to joining the UAE Prime Minister’s Office, Noah was a senior manager with GBN / Monitor, the North American Director of Space Syntax Limited, co-founder of Sensitive Dynamics, and Senior Research Advisor to Prince’s Foundation for the Built Environment. He is a Senior Research Fellow at the London School of Economics, a fellow at the Bartlett School of Architecture, an advisor to the Scenarios Lab at the USC Annenberg School of Communications, and a fellow at the International Futures Forum.
Noah completed his PhD at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), his masters at the Bartlett School of Architecture, and his undergraduate degree at Brown University. He lectures and publishes widely and in demand as a global speaker on policy, design, and the future.
Some of Noah’s current and past affiliations include:
- The UAE Prime Minister’s Office: Advisor to the Director General.
- The Executive Office of Dubai: Advisor for the private office of the Ruler of Dubai, focusing on policy entrepreneurship and partnership development.
- GBN / Monitor: Strategy consultant and senior manager, with a focus on urban, regional and national development.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: PhD in the Department of Urban Studies and Planning, with a focus on crowdsourcing, collective intelligence and urban informatics for public policy. My complete PhD is online here.
- London School of Economics: Senior Research Associate in the Complexity Programme, focusing on social phase transitions, complexity theory and management strategies for complex, turbulent environments.
- The International Futures Forum: Collaborative reflection for conceptual emergencies, with a focus on online means, creative workshops and other forms of collective intelligence. With Graham Leicester and others.
- USC Annenberg School Scenarios Lab: External advisor, focusing on the use of online and transmedia for crowdsourcing aspects of the scenario process.
- Space Syntax Limited:Urban design think tank and policy studio, based in London. Former North American Director.
- The Prince’s Foundation for the Built Environment: Former senior research advisor to HRH the Prince of Wales’ architectural and urban development charity in the UK. Provided advice on critical infrastructure resilience, supply chain management, strategy, etc.
- Humanitarian Futures Programme, Kings College London: Occasional consultant (and friend to the Programme) on futures methodology, strategy development and policy research for complex humanitarian crises, with Dr. Randolph Kent.
- Sensitive Dynamics Ltd: Founding partner, organizational change and strategy consultancy in complex, dynamic and politically sensitive environments. With Sean Lowrie and Cliff Dennett.
- The James Martin 21st Century School, University of Oxford: Research on system transitions and systemic risk mitigation with Dr. Peter Taylor and scenarios / futures research with Pam Hurley and Prof. Angela Wilkinson.
Noah is also interested in urbanism, design, crowdsourcing, collective intelligence, and social complexity. He lives in Dubai, is married with two children and is a semi-retired techno DJ. He maintains an occasional podcast called NerdHouse (mixing deep techno with deep lectures and spoken word) and is finishing his first book, “Age of the Warlord Entrepreneur”.